Thinking about turning your Hampton area home into a short-term rental income property? Your property can provide an easy way for you to earn passive income that covers the ongoing costs of property ownership and maintenance—and then some. Quality rental homes are in high demand across the country, including in Dover, Portsmouth, Rochester and Hampton.
But you may be wondering how you attract quality tenants. Or maybe how to make your property stand out from other rentals? Here are the six best ways to find great tenants and keep your property occupied with them:
1. Maintain curb appeal. An attractive property is more likely to be treated with respect by its tenants. Make sure your property is appealing both in-person and online. A few simple tips go a long way here. Give your front door a fresh coat of paint, add a welcome mat, a seasonal wreath and attractive outdoor lighting. Your goal is for prospective renters to see an attractive-looking and well-maintained property. This will establish that your property is something special and worth taking care of.
2. Ensure all safety devices are working properly. Pay attention to the little things here. Check locks, smoke detectors and other safety items such as alarm systems or latches on your windows and doors. These types of features can be easily overlooked, but they are important elements that help renters to feel safe, so they should be important to you. Make sure any security measures, such as motion-activated lighting, are working as they should. If you’re unsure which safety features you need, we’re here to help.
3. Keep up with all repairs and maintenance. You need to make sure that your home is up-to-date on all repairs. Little annoyances like cabinets that don’t shut quite properly, squeaky doors or a bathroom sink that drips all night long add up to big pain points for tenants. Create a regular list for maintenance checks. Not sure what to include on that list? We can help make sure you’ve got everything covered.
4. Keep guests informed. A high-quality tenant is likely interested in your community, as they will call it “home.” They’ll want to be involved in activities and are generally curious about what they can do in the Hampton area. If they are new to the community and/or neighborhood, provide them with the information they can use to settle in. Include take-out menus to great local restaurants, provide pamphlets on local activities and gatherings or put together a quick “welcome to the community” guide with useful tips.
5. Communicate. Make sure you’re communicating well with potential renters. This starts with a well-written advertisement, which includes everything your home offers, and continues through a tenant’s stay in your home. Market your property, but don’t oversell it and make it sound better than it is. A tenant wants to know that they can rely on open communication and honesty. We can market your investment property for you, honestly and effectively.
6. Be detail-oriented. Have you ever lived in a home that had a lot of small things that weren’t right? Annoying, isn’t it? That’s why partnering with PMI Green Rock is such a great way to go. We can help with some or all of the details required to successfully manage an investment property.
Becoming a landlord and managing a rental property can be challenging. Finding a skilled Hampton residential property manager can help make that job easier and save you a lot of time and money. We can make owning and managing an investment property simple by helping with the ever-important tasks of marketing, tenant screening, rent collection, maintenance and financial reporting.
With PMI Green Rock, you get a full team of skilled professionals with the expertise to provide you with the highest level of service and the maximum return on your investment. We’re focused on your and your investment and providing the very best service to help your real estate venture succeed.